Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Stepping out of my comfort zone

For those who know me, you know how hard this is for me to "step outside my box". I am extremely structured, organized and planned with everything I do. Some may remember my 10 year plan I wrote back in college. So this move was a big jump for me. Not knowing where everything is, how things are done, and exactly how to do everything, is killing me. I have learned things about my washer and dryer, who knew this was going to be a problem? I've learned the garbage rules, now I just need my husband to follow them before we get a note from the garbage men. I am starting to understand signs and rules for riding my bike, but still have lots to learn. But one thing I am not prepared for, but is necessary, is finding someone to watch my kids occasionally. I am very spoiled that I have always had family or friends around to watch my kids. I have never had to rely on a "typical" babysitter. Unfortunately, having three kids really limits what you can do around here. Going out to eat is a two to three hour process, Brooklyn might be able to handle this, but the boys, forget it. We also have been invited to a BBQ that would be more fun if it were just the adults. Also, I am sure down the line there will be work related functions that will not include the kids. So it is necessary that I have someone in place before the need arises. I do have a number for a girl who comes highly recommended from a co-worker of Jason's. She starts college in the fall and helps out with a local girl scout troup. I just need to find the nerve to call her. Sounds silly I know, but this is very hard for me. It's like pulling off a bandaid. You know you have to do it and once it is done you wonder what all the fuss was about. What is even more funny is that this is only the first step, what am I going to be like when I actually leave the kids with her for the first time?

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel Amy. I remember feeling the same way the first time we left Avery with a babysitter who wasn't a friend or family member. I was dreading it and feeling bad about it up until the moment I actually met her. Once I met her and saw how she interacted with Avery I immediately felt better and comfortable with the whole thing. You just need to take that hard step of actually calling her and setting up a time to meet her. I think that'll be the hardest part, and once that's done you'll find out why she was so highly recommended and feel at ease with the whole thing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy-
    I can kinda relate to what you're going through. The good news is that you have time-- and maybe you can start out with small steps-- like leaving the kids with a sitter for 90 minutes...or hiring one to come to the house and watch them while you're working on other things so that you can see how they interact. The other upside is that all the kiddos are at an age where they can "report back" on the experience they have with a sitter too. Just trying to help you find a way to ease into the occasional sitter situation. I agree-- nothing tops having someone close watch them-- but I'm confident that you'll get referred to someone who will do a great job. Missing you lots!!

    ReplyDelete